Running your own business can be scary. I mean, lost in the woods, don’t go out there alone, horror film kind of scary.
And often as creative entrepreneurs we feel a lot of pressure to get things right. Maybe it’s because we’re supporting our family, trying to pay bills, or trying to prove all those people wrong who said “that business will never work”.
Michelle Obama said “Failure is an important part of success”.
So why do we feel like the worst kind of failure when things don’t go right?
At some point in our lives, we all learnt that mistakes are to be avoided no matter what, and to aim for perfection.
But in reality, this kind of thought process will kill your progress. It will stop you reaching your goals.
If you’re familiar with the term “frozen in fear”, you’ll know that fear can stop you from doing the things you need to do. It can keep you from succeeding – all thanks to these crazy expectations we’ve set for ourselves at some point in our lives.
The truth is, if you’re not making mistakes, you’re not trying hard enough and you’re not learning enough either!
When we fail, we learn a lesson about why we failed. And then we get up, brush ourselves off and keep trying.
Do this enough, and you’ll realise there is no failing, there’s just life, your life, so don’t miss a second of it from being frozen in fear!
Here’s a collection of my favourite quotes about failing and success for you to keep around you all the time, remind yourself that you are not a failure, and to inspire you to keep on going no matter what.
- “What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?” Robert Schuller
- “Everything you want is on the other side of fear.” – Jack Canfield
- “Successful and unsuccessful people do not vary greatly in their abilities. They vary in their desires to reach their potential.” – John Maxwell
- “We become what we think about most of the time, and that’s the strangest secret.” Earl Nightingale
- “Failure is so important. We speak about success all the time. It is the ability to resist failure or use failure that often leads to greater success. I’ve met people who don’t want to try for fear of failing.” – J.K. Rowling
- “Success is most often achieved by those who don’t know that failure is inevitable.” – Coco Chanel
- “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” – Thomas A. Edison
- “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” – Winston Churchill
- “There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.” – Paulo Coelho
- “Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.” – Winston Churchill
- “We are all failures – at least the best of us are.” – J.M. Barrie
- “The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.” – Henry Ford
- “What is the point of being alive if you don’t at least try to do something remarkable?” – John Green
- “If you are not willing to risk the usual, you will have to settle for the ordinary.”- Jim Rohn
- “Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life–think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success.” – Swami Vivekananda
- “Opportunities don’t happen. You create them.” – Chris Grosser
- “There are two types of people who will tell you that you cannot make a difference in this world: those who are afraid to try and those who are afraid you will succeed.” – Ray Goforth
- “I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.” – Bill Cosby
- “Though no one can go back and make a brand-new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand-new ending.” – Carl Bard
- “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
And never forget: you’ve got this!
Share this Post